The Purple Needle

I finally have a blog! This is my place to discuss my job search, my stitching, my addiction to the internet and whatever else crosses my mind! So stay, read, stitch and chat with me :)

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Moving update

Well, it seems that I've secured the money from my mother. She said she'd put a money order in the mail on Monday for an amount that is more than enough from what I've been told by various managers of what they require at lease signing. So yay for my mom! Whatever I don't use to put down on the apartment will probably go for maybe a moving truck (I might get my friends to help me instead) and shopping for household stuff like dishes and curtains and cleaning supplies. And a couch and recliner!

I asked my friend to take me apartment shopping today. It didn't go so well. The places that I was interested in were already gone. And the places that were available were in areas I'm not particularly interested in living in. So I'll have to keep watching the ads and hold out for a place I can afford (which there don't seem to be many!) in the area I want. I guess the key is to call the day the ad appears and not wait until the weekend, because the vacancy will be gone by the weekend! I'm thinking I might have to take a day or half day off work to do this. We'll see.

Now some questions for you all, as I'm sure all of you have rented apartments at some point! Where do you find apartments for rent? I have the newspaper in print and online and sites like rent.com, any other recommendations? What are credit references? What should I be prepared to provide to a potential landlord? Are they going to ask for paystubs to prove my income? Anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance!

I guess I don't have anything else, except that it is really HOT here, too hot to do anything. I took a nap when I got home today and I woke up sweating, even with the fan on.

I do have one more thing. Did I mention that I'm moving out!! No exact date yet, but soon! Wahoo!

5 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Get out the phonebook and call some real estate companies. Many of them have property managers that have rentals not advertised so they can better control who they rent to.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Peg said...

I have had the best luck in finding an apartment by just driving around the area that I want to live in. Some landlords don't advertise in the paper but put up a sign only. Most landlords have a rental application to fill out and that will ask all they want to know, work, banking, previous landlords, etc.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Karoline said...

Good luck Laurel, I hope you find somewhere quickly

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Just wanted to say good luck with the moving out! - I know you've been wanting to do that for a long time. :)

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Suz said...

I always found my apartments by driving around and asking to see apartments.

In Houston, everyone uses a standard application form, soI never had to provide anything except that information (name, rental/housing history, employment information, etc...)

Congrats on your own place :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home