The Purple Needle

I finally have a blog! This is my place to discuss my job search, my stitching, my addiction to the internet and whatever else crosses my mind! So stay, read, stitch and chat with me :)

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Sorry I can't be as perfect as every other 27yo I know

But that's the way it is. I'm not married with 2 children, a dog and a white picket fence. I don't have a career or a car or an apartment. I don't even have a darn job of any kind for that matter! I live at home still. My mother hates it that I live here. All I ever hear about is how I'm abusing her and how her job as mom is over and yadda yadda yadda. Yes, I'm sorry I still live here, but hey, if the fact I still live at home and I'm having a hard time getting a job is all she has to complain about, then darn it she's lucky! I think next time I go around the growing up block, I'll get pregnant at 16, deal drugs, become a prostitute and get put in juvie for a few stints there. Maybe I'll contract a few STDs, or join a gang. Maybe that will be easier for her?

Sorry if I sound bitter. I probably am. But the way I see it, I finished high school, I finished college, I am capable of holding a job (once I get one! That's the obstacle here!), and one of these days I will get out of her hair. I didn't get pregnant, I'm not doing drugs, I'm not bringing men home, I'm not in and out of jail. I still live here, sorry it's so horrible to her, but it really could be much worse.

Getting a job is definitely the sticking point here. I'm trying to get a job that doesn't qualify as a McJob, but there's apparently something wrong with me that no one wants to hire me. I don't know what it is, but I keep working at this darn thing they call a job interview, and I hope I will score really soon. I'm not sure what the problem is really. I took a class and got some useful advice that I'm trying to take to heart, but there's still something wrong because I'm still not getting hired anywhere. I don't have 2 heads, I really can do all those things listed on my resume, and darn it, I think I'm pretty likeable. Lots of people like me. And surely at least some of the employers I've interviewed with like me too. Just not enough to hire me. Sigh.

Well, I have an interview tomorrow (Monday), and hopefully this will be different. I know I can do this job. I know I can do all these jobs I've interviewed. I just don't know why the employers are seeing it the same way. Any advice anyone? (And no, I don't bring any of this ranting into a job interview with me.)

1 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Christine S said...

I think moms are meant to drive us crazy. I'm still at home, too, but my mom doesn't push for me to leave...if anything she's like Laura's mom and wants me to stay home forever! It's driving her crazy that I don't really "need" her anymore and it's driving me crazy that it's driving her crazy!!

Best of luck with the upcoming interviews, Laurel. I know you'll find something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home