The Purple Needle

I finally have a blog! This is my place to discuss my job search, my stitching, my addiction to the internet and whatever else crosses my mind! So stay, read, stitch and chat with me :)

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

If you feel a sense of impending doom.....

It's still hot! Was a record-breaking 101 at LAX yesterday, and down to a nice cool 92 today. It all started to make sense to me tonight when the news said the humidity was at 78%. That's why I feel so sticky and yucky instead of just plain hot! Still too hot to stitch, and too hot to finish my room yet.

In other thoughts, I saw a great quote this week and it applies to me. If you feel a sense of impending doom, pay attention. (Thanks to Maree for that one!) I'm starting to feel that way about my 84yo grandmother's health and the telephone. My grandma has been on kidney dialysis for about 4 years now, and she's starting to deteriorate more quickly now it seems. The doctors just replaced the shunt in her arm, twice. They've gotten her a wheelchair because she's not steady on her feet anymore. She's fallen 3 or 4 times in a month, and luckily she hasn't broken anything, but I have the idea that if she does break her hip or something, that will be the end of it and she'll die.

I'm starting to dread the phone ringing because I just know one of these times, and quite soon I suspect, it will be my uncle saying that she's died. I'm just not looking forward to it. Of course, no one looks forward to a relative dying, but I remember my grandpa's funeral in 92, and I'm dreading going through that again, and this time I suspect it will be worse. It means flying out to Ohio and back, and no doubt there will be a bigger family argument this time over some stupid thing. My grandma is smarter than my grandpa was though, and she's worked out a lot of her estate ahead of time and taken care of handing the deed to her house over and such, but surely someone will find something to argue about. Oh yes, and there will be rehashing of the family gossip from grandpa's funeral. And there's the funeral service itself, which will be just plain sad and traumatic.

If you're so inclined, please send prayers or thoughts for my grandmother and her health. Thank you. Her name is Mary.


1 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

You're definitely in my thoughts, Laurel. Waiting for the phone to ring is much like waiting for a shoe to drop. I hope it doesn't ring (for that purpose anyway) anytime soon for you!

And from my recent experiences, you're right. Families will always find something to argue over -no matter how
"simple" or "organized" an estate is. Gotta love families. (not)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home